Tuesday, August 18, 2009

It's a Small World after all..

I have survived a week! I left Boston exactly a week ago! CRAZY!!!

Sarah and I arrived in Portland safely, and shockingly I was calm-ish letting Sarah drive the entire way here. (I am growing!) Once we got to Portland, we parked the car, peed, and found Powell Bookstore. Powell Bookstore is the magastore of bookstores. As Sarah put nicely today, "there are libraries that are smaller than this bookstore." It was my mecca of new and used books, and I perused the shelves for over an hour, and still did not see everything. It is definitely my one thing to do in Portland. Afterward, we traveled to the land of roses. I know I was supposed to be awed by all the different roses in the International Rose Garden, but what I thought was as pretty as it was, it was just another garden with lots and lots of roses. Although, I did find it calming and a nice place to relax and "smell the roses".

The big highlight of Portland beside the good Thai food, beautiful scenery, and the friendly strangers (yes, mom we talked to strangers, but actually they talked to us first) was the wonderful coincidence of knowing local musicians in Portland.

Back story: Many moons ago when I worked at BELL's after school program, one of the other tutors I worked with also played in a band (the Eilen Jewel Band) and since leaving the after school world she has traveled all over the world and was in Portland tonight playing.

So, like groupies, Sarah and I stalked her and saw Eilen play. Along with Eilen, there was a musician from Austin, Steven James, also playing before her. (Sarah got her picture with him). Sarah wanted to go check out another band from Austin (the Octopus Project) at another bar, so we left Eilen, and went to another bar. Little did I know (because Sarah didn't want to tell me) that the Octopus Project is an electronica band that has images flashing along to their electronic instrumental. It was interesting to say the least, but I was proud of myself for trying new things even though at first I was ready to walk out and go back to the motel and sleep. I realized that I was in Portland at a club and I should embrace the moment. So, I stood up in the booth and swayed along to the beats (not music, but beats).

So, overall, as I look back at the last week of my life, I can say that I have seen great and beautiful things that will forever amaze me, I have had wonderful people remind that kindness and hospitality are a virtue, I am brave enough to venture into the great unknown, and I can be dragged to an avant garde show and not kill my sister.

6 comments:

  1. ok, this reply is more for dad than it is for the purpose of commenting. Dad, it's 8am and i am the first to comment on the blog. Everyone needs to please post comments on the daily blogs because my nerotic father is pacing back and forth in his home thinking that no one cares about my two crazy sisters pulling a thelma and louise trip across the country....we all know that the grand canyon comes close to their travels, so hopefully they won't drive off the cliff....however...until they do, let's all leave comments to help PUSH them on their trip.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like both of you are having a Great Bonding Trip enjoy and watch out for the those infamous California Drivers.........Dad

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, hopefully they will hold hands while driving off the Grand Canyon...and I have been leaving comments as I read their entries daily. I find them very entertaining. Jess, that Rose Garden in Portland was where Brian and I re-enacted our engagement....haha...long story. I have the pics to prove it, but I did love that garden since roses are my favorite flower. I love electronica music so I wish I could have gone! And I'm disappointed y'all didn't make it out to the club Embers.....you would have had a blast and I would have dragged you there if I went with you on this trip. I'm glad you're having a blast. I'm with you all the way!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Josh- Chris is my brother.

    Laura- I wish you were here, too! You never told me about Embers. Miss you!

    Chris and Dad- Sarah and I appreciate your comments because it means a lot to us that you are reading and giving us feedback, so keep it coming. Love ya!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am glad that you made it to Powell's! It is one of my favorite places.

    ReplyDelete