Wednesday, August 19, 2009

California Border question and addendum

Does anyone know why when you cross into California, they check for produce and plants coming into the state? When we were driving into California from Oregon we had to pull over to an inspection station. The State Trooper asked us if we had any fruits, vegetables, and/or plants in the car. (We did not) Sarah and I have no idea why California does this. (The travel guides don't know either).

Also, addendum to my State Trooper theory: State Troopers in California love their job. They love pulling people over for speeding. I have seen more State Troopers in Northern California than in my entire time on the road. I have also seen a great number of people pulled over for speeding. Driving through Arcata and Eureka last night Sarah and I counted 8!

6 comments:

  1. Jess, California is the No. 1 state in the nation for Ag products and No. 1 in growing fresh Produce.....back during the depression the 1930's the immgration from the East brought many bugs and almost wiped out their produce....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Evolve or perish, I always say.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Did we forget the budget shortfall that California is facing? Got to increase revenue somehow. Why not pull a few over.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Can we get some pictures along the way? Some of us are visual people.

    ReplyDelete
  5. wow, dad know more about shit than you do? amazing...did you not take produce 101 in MASS?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Haha...Chris and your Dad crack me up. Yeah, I agree with Mike...CAN WE GET SOME PICS!!

    ReplyDelete